Ian Penman, who started writing for the NME in 1977, is working on a novel about music and terror in 1970s Britain.
In the LRB Archive:
- Elvis Has Left the Building: The Day the King Died by Dylan Jones
- Elvis Presley: A Southern Life by Joel Williamson
- Celebrating Bird: The Triumph of Charlie Parker by Gary Giddins
- Kansas City Lightning: The Rise and Times of Charlie Parker by Stanley Crouch
- Bird: The Life and Music of Charlie Parker by Chuck Haddix
- Mod: A Very British Style by Richard Weight