Jobs at the LRB
We are looking for a talented, versatile, experienced Designer to join our team for a one-year contract.
You will carry responsibility for manifesting the visual brand identity as put forward by the Art Director and the Head of Marketing, ensuring quality and consistency of graphic design across all media. The role will cover a myriad of projects across the London Review of Books magazine, LRB Bookshop and LRB Cake Shop. The right candidate is passionate about producing all types of design collateral, from house marketing advertisements to email to retail signage. It is an ideal opportunity for a visually talented and technically skilled individual, who possesses a particular interest in digital design, predominantly within the literary and publishing sectors.
This role is set in a fast-paced environment, where you will find yourself having to deliver varied high-quality design output to tight deadlines. You will be working with the company’s Brand Style Guidelines and you should have experience of using similar brand guidelines for web, digital and print. You will work with almost all departments within the company, playing a key part in project development and rollout for the three businesses.
Furthering the LRB brand and marketing design collateral, you will be responsible for:
- Producing and amending design output across all levels of the company
- Executing visual/graphics projects as set out by Marketing and the Art Director (some involvement in planning/managing these projects)
- Producing the correct files types for delivery of design assets for digital and print
- Ensuring quality of branding, design consistency and creative integration through all media and in all implementations.
- Working with wireframes and templates for digital design implementation
- Maintaining our documented brand guidelines, including logos, print standards, web standards etc. and supporting all business areas with their creative concepts.
- Managing all digital and graphics assets, including archiving, organisation, storage and backup.
- Designing, printing and preparing print material for the retail space
- Working with other departments on their design needs as required
- Guiding colleagues towards better and smoother ways of organising and briefing their design needs
- Working with external suppliers and consultants as needed to deliver design results
- Developing ideas for growth and further design effectiveness for the company
- Attending design events and networking opportunities to keep abreast of industry developments, implementations and successes.
- Seeking out software solutions/platforms to better undertake design work
Essential Skills & Experience
- Educated to a degree level
- Understanding of design for commercial needs
- Understanding of design for print and screen, and the specific issues each present
- Understanding the difference between vector and raster graphics, and which would be appropriate for any given job or asset
- Possession of a good understanding of style sheets and reusable assets / code, regardless of medium
- An excellent design eye, a portfolio that demonstrates your creative skills across the products you have worked for, and an ability to know what makes great, effective design content
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to speak to various departments (editors, copywriters, printers, coders, etc.) in commonly understood language, as well as strong written English and knowledge of English grammar
- Excellent attention to detail
- A creative & conceptual thinker, eager to provide new ideas
- An interest in the use of social media and web technologies
- Thorough understanding of UI/Usability design
- Comfortable working with a range of files and material types
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Degree in Graphic Design
- Confidence with both Apple OS and Windows
- Ability to wireframe, and experience using Adobe Illustrator/Adobe Creative Cloud, PhotoShop, Quark, InDesign, Microsoft Office, and other Digital/Graphic design tools
- Use of FTP software
- Experience working in an office environment, ideally within publishing/the arts
- Photography/Video skills
- A high-achieving, passionate and creative thinker with a track record of creating effective design for use across various mediums including digital and print.
- Well-organised and reliable, with the ability to manage work and schedules
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with the ability and desire to work across various (and varied) projects to deliver them on time and budget.
- Passionate about marketing design, magazines (digital and print), literature and the arts
To apply, please send c.v. and samples of your work/portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Designer” in the subject line.