It is impossible to win gracefully at chess. No man has yet said ‘Mate!’ in a voice which failed to sound to his opponent bitter, boastful and malicious.
You are not logged in
- If you have already registered please login here
- If you are using the site for the first time please register here
- If you would like access to the entire online archive, buy a full-access subscription here
- Institutions or university library users please login here
- Learn more about our institutional subscriptions here
[*] Samurai Chess: Mastering the Martial Art of the Mind by Michael Gelb and Raymond Keene (Aurum, 210 pp., £15.95, 29 May, 1 85410 468 3).