Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I access Subscriber-only Content?
If you are a subscriber, you can activate your online account to access the latest issue of the London Review of Books, plus the complete archive dating back to 1979. If you subscribed via the website but have not yet received your first issue, you can activate your account with your order number which is found in the order confirmation email sent to you after you subscribed. If you have already subscribed and are receiving your issues you can activate your account with your customer number.
For USA subscribers: your 16-character customer number is between the ‘#’ marks, above your name on the address slip.
View an example »
For Canadian subscribers: your 15- or 16-character customer number is above your name on the address slip.
View an example »
Once you have activated your account we will send you an email link so that you can set up your login password. If you have already activated your account then Log in to see all articles. If you are not a subscriber, subscribe now and get immediate online access. The Subscription team will be happy to help with any problems you have accessing the subscriber only content.
- I have forgotten my username/password to access the online archive
Please try our reminder service. We will send you a link which is valid for 24 hours.
- Can I subscribe to the online edition of London Review of Books without subscribing to the printed copy?
We do not have a separate print and online subscription although we would like to hear from people who are interested in this service, please email our Customer Service team.
- I have paid for my subscription, how long will it take before I get my first copy?
The publication schedule provides the generate date of each issue and the estimated delivery date. All our US and Canadian subscribers are handled by our North American agency and it may take up to 12 weeks for you to receive your first issue. You can email our Customer Service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700 should you have any further queries.
- What types of payment and currencies do you accept?
We accept Visa, Mastercard and Amex credit and debit cards. All purchases are made in US Dollars.
- How secure are my credit card details if I subscribe online?
All the information you provide is encrypted (scrambled) using the industry standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology so that when you submit the order from the online form to our computer, nothing can be read as it travels down the secure line. Your details are then entered into our subscription system, which resides in a completely secure but separate, unlinked area away from our internet pages.
- Can I use a bookshop voucher as payment for my subscription?
No, this is a promotional offer valid only at the bookshop.
- How do I renew my subscription?
Please send in your renewal form and payment in the reply envelope provided. Alternatively, email our Subscriptions team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- How can I check the status of my subscription?
The Subscriptions team will be happy to help, please email or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700
- What do I do if the issue is delivered damaged or I do not receive an issue on time?
Simply contact our Customer Services team by email or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700 and they will arrange for a replacement copy to be sent to you. Please also see our publication schedule in order to see estimated delivery times.
- I am going on holiday/moving away and would like to suspend my subscription
Please complete the Suspend My Subscription form.
- I would like to restart my suspended subscription
Please complete the Re-activate My Subscription form.
- If I cancel or suspend my subscription, am I still able to access Subscriber-only Content?
No, this is because access to Subscriber-only Content is dependant on having an active subscription.
Renewal free gift subscription
- How can I nominate a friend for a free gift subscription?
Please complete the Member gets Member gift form and send back in the reply envelope provided. Alternatively, email our Customer Service team or call on: 1-800-258-2066 with the name and address details of your nominee.
- Is there a deadline to nominate a friend for a free gift subscription?
No, but as this is a benefit of subscribing, we recommend you nominate your friend as soon as possible.
- Can I nominate a friend for a free gift subscription who lives in another country?
Yes, we will send the gift subscription where ever you want it to go worldwide.
- I nominated a friend for a free gift subscription but they have not yet received their issues.
Once you have nominated a friend for a free gift subscription, we would send a letter to your nominee informing them of their free gift. Once we have received their signed acceptance form, we are able to start their subscription. You may need to encourage your friend to return the signed acceptance form. If another form needs to be sent please email our Subscriptions department or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- What do you do with my personal information?
The London Review of Books is serious about protecting your privacy – whether you are a subscriber or a visitor. We use information collected about you only to process and bill orders and to make the LRB online a more useful and valuable service. The LRB strives to respect the privacy of those who visit or become subscribers of the LRB via the online website. Data Protection Privacy
- Why are the USA/Canadian subscription rates so low compared with the UK, Europe and the rest of the world?
This is because all our USA/Canadian subscribers are managed by our North American fulfilment agency and the cost of USA postal services are hugely competitive.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy?
Should you wish to cancel your subscription at any time please email our Customer Service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700. You will receive a refund for any unmailed issues. Please see our Terms and Conditions for further information.
- Do you offer subscriptions for institutions/libraries/agencies?
Yes, these rates differ to personal subscriptions. Please see our Institutional Subscriptions page for more information.