Svetlana Alpers is a professor emerita of the history of art at the University of California, Berkeley. Her most recent book is The Vexations of Art.
In the LRB Archive:
- Vermeer’s Hat: The 17th Century and the Dawn of the Global World by Timothy Brook
- Hans Memling: The Complete Works by Dirk de Vos
- Dawn of the Golden Age: Northern Netherlandish Art, 1580-1620 by Wouter Kloek, translated by Michael Hoyle
- Masterpieces of 17th-Century Dutch Genre Painting: Catalogue of the Exhibition at the Royal Academy
- The Golden Age: Dutch Painters of the 17th Century by Bob Haak