Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I access Subscriber-only Content?
If you are a subscriber to either the print or online version of the London Review of Books, you must activate your online account to access all of the available content. If you subscribed via the website you should activate your account with the order number which is found in the order confirmation email sent to you after you subscribed. If you have subscribed to the print edition and are receiving your issues you can activate your account with your customer number. Your 6 digit customer number is above your name on the address slip. View an example »
Once you have activated your account we will send you an email link so that you can set up your login password. If you have already activated your account then Log in to see all articles. If you are not a subscriber, subscribe now and get immediate online access. The Subscription team will be happy to help with any problems you have accessing the subscriber only content.
- I have forgotten my username/password to access the online archive
Please try our reminder service. We will send you a link which is valid for 24 hours.
- Can I subscribe to the online edition of London Review of Books without subscribing to the printed copy?
We do have separate print and online subscriptions. If you would like to subscribe to the online edition, please email our Customer Service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- I have paid for my subscription, how long will it take before I get my first copy?
The publication schedule provides the generate date of each issue and the estimated delivery date.
- What types of payment and currencies do you accept?
We accept all major credit and debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Switch, Maestro, American Express. For Overseas orders, the price you pay will be dependent on the exchange rate of your credit card company. We accept postal orders denominated in pounds sterling or cheques denominated in pounds sterling and drawn from a UK bank. We also accept payments by bank transfer, for more details please email our Customer Service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- Are there concessions for students or Old Age Pensioners (OAPs)?
Yes, we offer reduced rates for students and OAPs. For details, please email our customer service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- How secure are my credit card details if I subscribe online?
All the information you provide is encrypted (scrambled) using the industry standard SSL (Secure Socket Layer) technology so that when you submit the order from the online form to our computer, nothing can be read as it travels down the secure line. Your details are then entered into our subscription system, which resides in a completely secure but separate, unlinked area away from our internet pages.
- If I pay by direct debit, how can I cancel my subscription?
If you pay for your subscription by Direct Debit you are automatically protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee below. To can cancel your Direct Debit at any time please email the Subscriptions, call on: +44 (0)1604 828700 or contact your bank.
View an example »
- Can I use a bookshop voucher as payment for my subscription?
No, this is a promotional offer valid only at the bookshop.
- How do I renew my subscription?
Please send in your renewal form and payment in the reply envelope provided. Alternatively, email our Subscriptions team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- How can I check the status of my subscription?
The Subscriptions team will be happy to help, please email or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700
- What do I do if the issue is delivered damaged or I do not receive an issue on time?
Simply contact our Customer Services team by email or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700 and they will arrange for a replacement copy to be sent to you. Please also see our publication schedule in order to see estimated delivery times.
- My latest issue has been delivered but is damaged.
Contact our Subscriptions team by email or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700, and we will arrange for a replacement copy to be sent to you.
- How do I request a receipt?
We would be happy to send you a receipt. Please email our Subscriptions team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- I am going on holiday/moving away and would like to suspend my subscription
Please complete the Suspend My Subscription form.
- I would like to restart my suspended subscription
Please complete the Re-activate My Subscription form.
- If I cancel or suspend my subscription, am I still able to access Subscriber-only Content?
No, this is because access to Subscriber-only Content is dependant on having an active subscription.
- How do I renew my subscription?
Print subscribers can either return the renewal form and payment in the reply envelope provided or you can renew online using the URL provided on your printed renewal form or in your renewal reminder email. You will then need to log in using your registered email and password when prompted. To renew your subscription and change delivery to another country, please contact the customer services team.
Online subscriptions should be renewed by using the URL or links provided in your renewal reminder email. You will then need to log in using your registered email and password when prompted. To renew your subscription and change delivery to another country, please contact the customer services team.
- Where can I find my URL?
On a printed renewal form your URL will be above your customer number and delivery address in the coloured strip across your renewal reminder. If you have received your renewal reminder by email you will just need to click on any of the RENEW NOW buttons in the body of the email.
- What should I do if I can’t log in?
If you are not already registered as an existing subscriber you’ll need to use your customer number to activate your account on the site first. This can be done here. If you’re already registered but still cannot log-in try re-setting your password. This can be done here.
- I have forgotten my email/password to log in.
Please try our password reminder service. We will send you a link which will allow you to update your details (link only valid for 24 hours). If you still have difficulty please contact our customer services team.
- Why can’t I change my address?
The information used to show your renewal price is taken from your current subscription. This means we cannot process address changes at the same time as a renewal. If you need to change your address and renew your subscription at the same time please contact the customer services team.
Renewal free gift subscription
- How can I nominate a friend for a free gift subscription?
Please complete the free gift form and send back in the reply envelope that was provided or you can nominate online using the URL link that was mailed to you. Otherwise, email our Subscriptions team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700 with the name and address details of your nominee.
- Is there a deadline to nominate a friend for a free gift subscription?
No, but as this is a benefit of subscribing, we recommend you nominate your friend as soon as possible.
- Can I nominate a friend for a free gift subscription who lives in another country?
Yes, we will send the gift subscription where ever you want it to go worldwide.
- I nominated a friend for a free gift subscription but they have not yet received their issues.
Once you have nominated a friend for a free gift subscription, we would send a letter to your nominee informing them of their free gift. Once we have received their signed acceptance form, we are able to start their subscription. You may need to encourage your friend to return the signed acceptance form. If another form needs to be sent please email our Subscriptions department or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700.
- What do you do with my personal information?
The London Review of Books is serious about protecting your privacy – whether you are a subscriber or a visitor. We use information collected about you only to process and bill orders and to make the LRB online a more useful and valuable service. The LRB strives to respect the privacy of those who visit or become subscribers of the LRB via the online website. Data Protection Privacy
- Why are the USA/Canadian subscription rates so low compared with the UK, Europe and the rest of the world?
This is because all our USA/Canadian subscribers are managed by our North American fulfilment agency and the cost of USA postal services are hugely competitive.
- What is the cancellation/refund policy?
Should you wish to cancel your subscription at any time please email our Customer Service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700. You will receive a refund for any unmailed issues. Please see our Terms and Conditions for further information.
- Where can I buy a copy on the news-stand?
Please email our Customer Service team or call on: +44 (0)1604 828700 and we will locate your nearest outlet.
- Do you offer subscriptions for institutions/libraries/agencies?
Yes, these rates differ to personal subscriptions. Please see our Institutional Subscriptions page for more information.