A Journey from Memoir to Wet Wipes

Tags: |

I’ve always had trouble with cataloguing books. In Ireland I came across a bookshop that had a wall of fiction divided into two. They were labelled: Novels by Men and Novels by Women. I left weeping. I’m in two minds about Daunt Books’ method of geographic cataloguing. Graham Greene and Joseph Conrad all over the shop, though Dostoevsky safely under Russia.

I have no ambivalence at all about a new movement to re-categorise one particular book, on a national, and ideally international scale. Act now and sign up for the Facebook Group not-so-snappily entitled Subversively Move Tony Blair’s memoirs to the crime section in book shops. There are coming up for 10,000 members so far. For this alone the internet and Facebook must be considered a good thing. There are other creative options. Fiction, obviously, Fantasy and Fairy Tales. But you are not just confined to book sections. Someone moved A Journey in Tesco to the Wet Wipes section. In Asda it’s to be found among the Cat Litter. And there’s a suggestion that perhaps the meat counter is the most appropriate place. Go to it.

Comments on “A Journey from Memoir to Wet Wipes”

1. Phil says:

Act now and sign up for the Facebook Group not-so-snappily entitled Subversively Move Tony Blair’s memoirs to the crime section in book shops

How would signing up to a Facebook group enhance the act of actually moving Blair’s memoirs, etc, or for that matter the failure to do so?

(I’m not on Facebook, so bear with me.)

2. Geoff Roberts says:

Don’t worry too much about the ones you miss, though. My guess is that very few will actually read the book.

3. Joe Morison says:

I can’t quite explain it, but some sort of sick humour in me would like to see it in Self Help. Given the title, Travel is also a possibility.

4. A.J.P. Crown says:

What’s wrong with reading Blair’s memoirs? It doesn’t mean you supported his actions. There’s nothing wrong with reading.

• Joe Morison says:

It’s not the reading, it’s the buying. Imagine how he’d have felt if it had hardly sold. I might feel sorry for him but until he faces and owns up to his crimes, anything that helps reinforce his self-delusion (and i think lots of people reading his book will do that) is a bad thing.

• Geoff Roberts says:

It’s buying and then deciding to plough through the 500 pages, making notes and marginal comments and getting annoyed and generally becoming in a partial way, an accessory after the fact – that is why I wouldn’t even consider buying the book. There is nothing wrong with reading as such – you are right on that A.J., but surely the bigger issue is, what do I read and why.
      There is a very German debate going on at the moment in Germany about a book written by an SPD member and Bundesbank director, his name is Thilo Sarrazin. There is a huge debate going on, in which many people who have not read his book are bashing his views in the relationship between religion and intelligence (whatever that is). I wouldn’t read the book if you gave me one as a present – his views are all over the newspapers and TV channels. He’ll make a lot of money which he doesn’t need. The issue for me is, do you becaome a passive participant in the overhyped world of fast commnunication? Franzen’s new one has been translated into German in a matter of weeks, ready for the big Frankfurt Book Fair. I would like to think that buying and reading a book is a slow organic process – not a blast of hot pr air.

• A.J.P. Crown says:

You don’t become partial if you don’t want to be. I disapprove of Blair and all he stands for. What he’s got to say is important because of the Iraq war & Afghanistan and to find out what lessons can be learned about that time in British politics. If I want to know what that is, I’d rather read his memoir than get it second-hand from the internet. Newspaper reports are, most of the time, just unbelievably distorted; so when there’s a chance to hear it from the horse’s mouth, why not? I like this moving-his-book-around action, it’s just my cup of tea, and the cancellation of his London appearances shows he got the message about his lack of popularity. If nobody were to buy his book, it would send the message that nobody’s interested in the issues — that’s the wrong message.

5. outofdate says:

The Kinokuniya Bookstore chain round Asia has one wall for non-genre novels called Literature and another called General Fiction, and it’s anyone’s guess what’s what. Rupert Thomson is General Fiction, but Danielle Steele is Literature, as are the Apocalypse Tuesday novels or whatever they’re called by Jenkins and LaHaye. Instructions seem to come from Tokyo headquarters, so there’s method in the madness. Having long been in the habit of punishing books I find wanting by putting them on my thriller shelf, I do get the occasional rich satisfaction from a placement in General Fiction, but sadly the rate’s about 5:1 the other way, so there’s no point even trying to make a difference.

6. Greenarkle says:

In Tesco, I put it in with the nuts. Oh, and I bought some pistachios too.